chocolate coffee whoopie pies
For the cakes:
125g butter, softened
160 soft light brown sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
300g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
For the buttercream filling:
240g icing sugar
120g butter, softened
70ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk until pale and creamy. Add the egg and mix in well.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, coffee, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a separate bowl.
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Add the buttermilk and mix until fully
5. Pipe 12 rounds of cake mixture onto each baking tray and bake for approximately 12
minutes, testing with a metal skewer to ensure they are cooked through. Place on a wire rack to cool.
6. For the buttercream, place the icing sugar and butter in a bowl and mix until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the double cream and mix well.
8. Once the cakes are cool, use a piping bag and pipe some buttercream onto the flat side of one cake and top with another. Repeat to make 12 whoopie pies.